Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Council Agrees To Discuss Traffic Study With UNC

In 2001, Chancellor James Moeser reopened the discussion of widening South Columbia Street to improve access to UNC Hospitals.

UNC Chancellor James Moeser sent a letter March 1 to Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy asking the town to request that the N.C. Department of Transportation conduct a feasibility study on widening a portion of the roadway.

In response to Moeser's request, residents of the Westwood and Westside neighborhoods filed a petition with the town March 25 to protest the traffic study and to reaffirm the town's plans to make structural modifications to South Columbia Street.

The petition included a resolution to proceed with plans for bicycle lanes, pedestrian walkways and additional appropriate turn lanes -- structural modifications that were approved by the town, the University and the NCDOT in October 1998.

But Monday night, the council voted down the residents' resolution 5-4, giving a green light for future discussions with the University regarding a feasibility study on the roadway.

Council member Flicka Bateman said she voted against the resolution because she thinks it is important to hear the University's reasons for conducting the traffic study.

"I think that what we need to do is to hear what the University has to say, and we have not done that," Bateman said.

But council member Dorothy Verkerk said she voted in favor of the resolution because she thinks University officials already have had the opportunity to voice their stance on the issue.

"I felt that the University had had the opportunity provided (to voice its opinion) and helped craft the plan (for South Columbia Street)," Verkerk said.

Although the town, the University and the NCDOT approved structural modifications about 3 1/2 years ago, Moeser reopened the issue March 25, 2001, when he sent a letter to the NCDOT to request a study about widening South Columbia Street to improve access to UNC Hospitals.

Aris Buinevicius of 404 Westwood Drive said neighborhood residents were frustrated with the recent request for a traffic study because they believe the University is trying to delay a project it had agreed upon four years ago. "It's been a project that's been put on hold," Buinevicius said Monday morning. "That (traffic) study would, in essence, delay the already approved DOT project."

During a work session scheduled for May 13, the town will hear presentations from University officials and town staff regarding the need for a traffic study.

A public forum regarding the possible widening of South Columbia Street has been scheduled for May 29.

Council member Pat Evans said that although she does not expect the Town Council to support widening South Columbia Street, members are open to hearing the University's reasons for conducting the traffic study.

"My feeling is that it is very unwise to ever say to the University 'We don't want to talk to you,'" she said. "The University has requested time to present information to us, and that is what we will expect."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.