Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Franklin Auto Might Expand Into Carrboro

The photos showed a garage surrounded by an empty lot at the downtown terminus of Merritt Mill Road. If Sayle gets what he wants from the Carrboro Board of Aldermen, the lot soon will be filled with his used cars in an area already chock full of automotive businesses.

"It's going to look nicer than a parking lot and nicer than some of the repair shops," Sayle said.

The board kept Sayle's hopes alive at Tuesday's meeting, voting 6-1 to draft a zoning amendment that would allow automobile sales in downtown Carrboro. The board will revisit the issue at a later date.

Sayle's plan is problematic only because his current showcasing location is in Chapel Hill and the proposed expansion extends Franklin Auto just across the border to Carrboro.

Chapel Hill's zoning ordinance allows auto sales downtown. Carrboro's does not.

Franklin Auto's sales office will remain at the Chapel Hill location, according to Sayle's plan.

"We view this two different ways," said Tommy Gardner, who owns the Carrboro property and would like to put Franklin Auto on it.

"It's a minor change, and it would improve the appearance of the property."

Al's Garage, Automotion and Jiffy Lube all lie near the busy intersection. And Carrboro's recently adopted downtown plan, Vision 2020, does not include auto-related establishments in its list of "desirable businesses."

"(They are) having a serious adverse effect on other businesses down there," said Alderman Mark Dorosin.

"To continue to allow this to be an auto zone would be a mistake."

But Dorosin was the only alderman who didn't want to take a second look at the plan.

Other board members thought a downtown used car dealer might be a good idea.

"Something I've noticed in all used car lots is that there's good light," said Alderman John Herrera.

"It might improve safety."

But the board still had its reservations.

"I think used car lots are great, as long as we're not overridden with them" said Alderman Alex Zaffron.

The board then discussed possible changes to the ordinance.

One option could limit the number of auto dealers per square mile.

Another could restrict the number of cars on the lots.

Regardless, the board was wary of tampering with Vision 2020.

Mayor Mike Nelson said, "Even if we believe this is an appropriate use in this part of the (zoning area), it may not be appropriate in another part."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.