Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Haltom Considers Withdrawing From Race for ASG Presidency

Haltom, ASG's vice president for public affairs, said that he chose to seek the presidency to address key ASG issues like the appropriation of the organization's $165,000 budget and that he would consider withdrawing from the race if those issues were being overshadowed by his past.

"If I see (my past) is going to be more of the focus than the issues at stake, then it's going to hurt the organization, and I don't want that," Haltom said. "It's more important for those questions to get answered than for me to win a race."

In February 2001, Haltom was charged with felony inciting to riot for participation in an incident involving the flipping of a car on Franklin Street after the North Carolina-Duke basketball game. Haltom, who turned himself in to police, was fined $3,000 and instructed to perform 125 hours of community service to have the felony charge dropped.

He also was charged with misdemeanor larceny in 1999, but the charge later was dropped.

Haltom said that in light of recent concerns about his past -- like those expressed by UNC-CH Student Body President Jen Daum in a meeting Friday -- he is considering capacities other than the presidency to serve the ASG in next year.

"In the long run, the reason I got in the association is because I care about the ASG," he said. "And I want to serve the organization whether that is best done by running for ASG president or not."

Daum said that in her meeting with Haltom she encouraged him to explore other options for serving the ASG and that she is not supporting his presidential bid. "I decided (not to endorse Haltom) because ASG in the past has had some issues with tainted reputations of leadership and because the association will be in charge of a $165,000 budget next year," she said. "It's important to have somebody in the position that doesn't have any kind of a record." Daum said she intends to vote for N.C. State University sophomore Jonathan Ducote, who now serves as the ASG's treasurer.

In 1999, ASG President Nick Mirisis resigned after admitting to plagiarizing a paper. In 2000, Cliff Webster resigned the ASG presidency after it came to light that he had been charged with one count of misdemeanor larceny and one of felony larceny.

Though Daum said she does not think Haltom should serve as ASG president, she said he could play an integral role in the organization in some other capacity.

Justin Young, former UNC-CH student body president and a current delegate to the ASG, said that while he respects Daum's decision, he has yet to determine which candidate will receive his endorsement for ASG president.

"I'm not comfortable deciding on anybody just yet," he said. "I'm not comfortable shutting (Haltom) out just yet because of his past."

Only four delegates from each UNC- system school are allowed to vote for ASG president, and the UNC-CH delegation has yet to be determined. But Young said both he and Daum will likely vote in the May 4 election.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.