Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

House Speaker Says Lottery Could Pass This Summer

With this year's fiscal woes, some say a state lottery might be seen as a way to raise the state's revenue.

Black, who is still opposed to the lottery, said the state's difficult budget situation and likely need for cuts to education might increase the odds of the House approving a lottery.

This summer, the N.C. General Assembly will have to plug a budget deficit of at least $1.2 billion for the 2002-03 fiscal year.

Some officials say a lottery could gross as much as $450 million its first year. The N.C. Senate has passed a lottery bill several times in the past decade only for it to fail in the House.

Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight has said in the past that the Senate will not take up the lottery again until it is passed by the House.

But Black told The Associated Press that this year House members might see the lottery as a better alternative to decreasing the budget shortfall than tapping into other resources.

"I believe that the lottery will have a better chance now than it has ever had," Black said.

Danny Lineberry, Black's spokesman, said Black has not changed his stance on the lottery.

"(Black) is personally opposed to a lottery but will not use his powers as House speaker to stop it," he said. "Given the alternatives -- tax increases or painful cuts -- more people will be inclined to vote for the lottery," he said.

Black told the AP that he is going to act on the lottery issue quickly. "We're just going to start talking to members pretty soon, and I do know there are more votes for a referendum than there would be for a straight up or down vote," Black said.

But House Minority Leader Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston, said he will not support a state lottery despite the additional revenue that it might produce.

"I've never supported the lottery," Daughtry said. "It's a tax on poor people, and it's not a good thing for us to do."

Political pundits said Black's decision is a departure from his past actions.

"(Black) has stopped the bill from being considered," said UNC political science Professor Thad Beyle. "He must have been getting some pressure."

But Beyle said debate will not ensure the lottery's success. "That doesn't mean it will pass," he said. "If the Republicans are against it, then there are certainly some Democrats against it."

Beyle also said a lottery will not be an immediate solution to the budget shortfall.

"Even if it were approved, it would not be on the ballot until November, and then it would take a while to get it started," he said. "It would have nothing to do with next year's budget."

Beyle said that although polls show a favorable attitude toward the lottery, this might not be the attitude of the voters.

"The polls show it is favored by the people who were polled -- that's about 60 percent to 40 percent," he said. "But those aren't the people who vote, and that's a different game. If people are really opposed to it, they will be sure to come out and vote against it."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.