Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Memorial Gets Going-Away Party

Present and former students, faculty and staff reminisced about their experiences in the building while drinking out of water bottles labeled "Thirsting for Improvement" that listed the renovation projects the building will undergo.

To begin the program, former Provost Dick Richardson read accounts of the memories alumni have accumulated about Memorial Hall.

"Within these walls we have experienced much joy, laughter, great ideas, spirited and controversial exchanges and a few tears," he said.

Richardson dubbed the program "A Memorial to Memorial" and recounted humorous stories of past performances as well as the tale of the "Memorial Hall ghost."

Richardson also talked about actor Andy Griffith, class of 1949, whose first theatrical performance was in Memorial Hall. Griffith played the part of the grand inquisitor of Spain in Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gondoliers."

Richardson said that Griffith loved the experiences he had at Memorial Hall and that Griffith once said he was always the first performer to arrive and the last to leave at the end of the night.

Richardson invited attendees to share their stories after he spoke.

Dave Huffman of Raleigh recalled his memory of the night Jane Fonda spoke about her political activism as students unrolled a 10-foot "Barbarella" movie poster from the balcony.

UNC employee Betty Averette talked about the time Little Richard invited her to dance on stage during his concert. "The walls were just shakin'," she said, remembering the audience's energy.

Alumna and former UNC employee Rachael Long attended the event partly because she worked at the University in Facilities Planning & Construction for 50 years. "I wrote many a capital improvements request for this building to be renovated," she said.

The renovated hall will have air conditioning, new seats with more legroom, restrooms, a new stage more than twice the size of the old one, a new sound system and a hydraulic orchestra pit lift. The building's face-lift also will include a paint job, carpeting, light fixtures and draperies.

The state pledged $10 million to Memorial Hall's renovations, $8.7 million of which came from the higher education bond referendum passed in November 2000.

An additional $5 million still needed to be raised through the Memorial Hall Transformation Fund. Now $800,000 remains to be raised through private donations.

An alumnus who works at the New York-based investment banking firm Goldman Sachs has pledged to donate 50 cents for every dollar raised for the fund, prompting organizers to say they are confident they will reach their goal by December.

Shows that would have been performed in Memorial Hall over the next 18 months will be relocated to one of three venues -- Carmichael Auditorium, Hill Hall or the Smith Center.

But as the building prepares to close, alumni said no other venue can take its place.

"My memories of Memorial Hall are not so much of events that defined the wonderful old building but the wonderful old building itself," said Larry Keith, an alumnus who now works for Sports Illustrated. "I love the look and the feel of the place and always have."