Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Allies Could Become Foes in Senate Race

But all of this is set change as North Carolina's state redistricting plan will almost certainly force the pair -- Sens. Howard Lee and Ellie Kinnaird, both D-Orange -- to run against each other for the right to represent Orange County in the state Senate.

Every 10 years the N.C. General Assembly is required to redraw its district lines. This year, Senate District 16, which encompassed Orange, Chatham, Moore and portions of Lee and Randolph counties, is being forced to shrink into a smaller, one-member district and become Senate District 23.

In May, N.C. Superior Court Judge Knox V. Jenkins approved a revised version of the redistricting plan. The new plan calls for fewer counties to be split between districts and for the elimination of multi-member districts.

The new plan puts Lee and Kinnaird in an awkward situation because they are close friends and political allies -- with similar platforms.

The two would have to face in the Democratic primary, which could be scheduled for early fall.

Kinnaird expressed her disappointment over the matter. "I'm very dismayed and disturbed by this situation because we have been colleagues for such a long time," she said. "We have worked together on many issues, and I feel that we have accomplished so much."

Kinnaird said she has chosen to run again for a seat in the legislature because she has the capability to bring issues to the forefront that need to be heard.

"I have been an advocate for the people throughout my political career, and I feel that it is my obligation to continue to serve my constituents," she said.

Lee has not formally indicated whether he intends to run again, but he did file for re-election in March when it appeared that the two would not have to run against each other. All legislators have to re-file for election because of the changes made to the district maps.

Lee could not be reached for comment.

But Kinnaird said she does not believe this election campaign will be any different from ones in the past. "There won't be any mudslinging or anything of that nature," she said. "I believe that Senator Lee and I both plan to campaign on our merits and past performance."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.