Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

New Shop Gives Opportunity

Club Nova thrift shop made possible by Economic Development Initiative Grant

Club Nova is a nonprofit organization that provides opportunities for the mentally ill of Orange County. It offers members a place to stay while managing their illnesses or simply a place to come six days a week to engage in recreational programs or meet friends. The group also provides community support services and affordable meals.

Club Nova opened the thrift shop at 103-D W. Main St. for its members to obtain employment and re-establish a role in society.

The thrift shop was largely made possible by a $250,000 Economic Development Initiative Grant secured by Rep. David Price, D-N.C., who was on hand to cut the ribbon for the store's grand opening.

Club Nova member Heather Nash, who has been involved with Club Nova for about five years, attributed the successful opening to the support from the community and from Price.

"It feels great because the community supports us," she said. "The miracle for us was David Price's money."

In a ceremony before the ribbon-cutting, people and organizations were presented with plaques in recognition of their dedication to the opening of the Club Nova Thrift Shop. Price received a standing ovation when accepting his plaque.

"This is a great day," Price said. "Club Nova is a wonderful organization. It brings hope and fellowship and opportunity to many of our fellow citizens. It's going to be something the whole community can benefit from.

"It's a wonderful community, and should make us all proud of the place we live."

Thrift shop coordinator Camellia Morton said donations from the community have been coming in for years and have increased in the last few months with the opening of the thrift shop getting close.

"The support from the community has been overwhelming," she said. "We're really appreciative."

Morton also said the thrift shop will allow members to showcase and apply their skills and talents.

Billie Guthrie, the staff member in charge of fund raising, said it was a creative business venture for Club Nova.

"It obviously offers work opportunities for the members," she said. "Our ultimate goal is to reintegrate our members back into the community."

There are 100 active members of Club Nova, with about 40 coming in for assistance each day.

Shelton Durham, an active Club Nova member, is excited about the possibilities the thrift shop will provide the community.

"It'll give us something to do, make money, and people will love it," he said. "It's really come a long way."

Club Nova Director Karen Kincaid Dunn has high hopes for the success of the shop and the positive effects it can have upon Club Nova members.

"Hopefully it'll generate the additional resources we need to provide more opportunities for our members dealing with serious mental illness," she said. "And they are the most awesome people on the planet. The most awesome, and the most courageous."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.