Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Stephens Now Waits As Backup

2nd-stringer likely will get snaps early.

Darian Durant will be the starter in Saturday's season opener against Miami (Ohio). C.J. Stephens will be the backup, and Matt Baker is third on the depth chart.

Nice to get that out of the system, isn't it?

"I'm ecstatic," Durant said after North Carolina coach John Bunting made the announcement Tuesday.

But rarely has a season passed in North Carolina football history where one quarterback has started every game of a season.

In fact, in the last 17 years, it happened only in 1987, 1995 and in 2000, when Ronald Curry did it.

It obviously didn't happen a year ago, when Durant helped spark a sagging offense early in the season and teamed with Curry to give opposing defenses two different looks as the year progressed.

And should Durant get hurt or struggle at the start of this season, Stephens, a junior transfer from Florida, will get the nod.

"We both want to play," said Stephens, who has taken just one snap in college but could see action against Miami. "At the same time, it is a lot to learn in a short amount of time. It's a lot of work, but I'm welcoming that challenge. I'm realistic about the fact that I do have a lot of learning and a lot of catching up to do."

That was Durant's philosophy a year ago, when he finished the season setting school freshman records for touchdown passes (17), completions (142), passing yards (1,843) and total offense (1,971 yards).

Durant accomplished that while starting only two games the entire season. Now, his new focus is on starting every game and spearheading a potentially exciting Tar Heel air attack.

Considering that no one has really stepped up at tailback and that the offensive line remains largely untested, that task could prove difficult, even with an experienced corps of wide receivers and tight ends.

"We're going to be real explosive on offense," Durant said. "We're probably going to have to carry the defense early on, but we're willing to accept that challenge. Hopefully we'll be able to go out there and give everybody a show."

And now that Durant has been named the starter, both he and Stephens can quit thinking about who's got which job and start worrying about the regular season.

Said Stephens, "Right now it's just working as hard as I possibly can and just trying to focus on getting better, so if the opportunity does come my way, I'm ready for it."