Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Views Differ on How to Fix State's Bond Rating

Easley wants legislature to approve lottery.

Moody's Investors Service, one of three main credit rating agencies, announced Monday that it had dropped North Carolina's bond rating one spot from AAA to Aa1.

Easley charged the legislature with expediting the appropriations process and passing a sound budget that doesn't devastate the state's reserves to regain its AAA standing.

Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, said the bond rating drop is a disturbing development, the reversal of which is a priority among legislators.

"We will pay more," he said. "This will raise the cost of doing business for the state.

"It will be up to us to get (the bond rating) back up."

Danny Lineberry, press secretary for House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, echoed Rand's sentiment.

"Moody's action on the bond rating included a couple guide points to get back the AAA bond rating," he said. "It's up to the legislature whether to follow those and get the rating back or to explain the whys and wherefores to the people back home."

Rand said the legislature has several options for restoring the budget's stability and replenishing reserves -- including approving the much-debated lottery referendum -- but that partisan politics have thwarted legislators' efforts.

"The Republicans have voted against everything we've tried to do to get out of this budget situation," he said. "If you read Moody's, they specifically mention the lottery as a way to garner revenue to get the (AAA) rating back."

But Rep. Frank Mitchell, R-Iredell, said passing a lottery referendum is not a viable way to generate more revenue for the state.

"The lottery is not the answer to the state's problems," he said.

Mitchell added that even if the state were to have a lottery, the money it produced would not be used to fill the $2 billion budget hole projected for the 2002-03 fiscal year.

"The lottery that has been proposed is to fund new programs," he said.

Mitchell emphasized that it is possible for the legislature to take other action to reclaim the AAA bond rating despite tough economic times.

Mitchell said lawmakers can budget responsibly and replenish reserves even when faced with a $2 billion deficit.

"But that is not going to happen until people are ready to really trim the budget," he said.

Legislators need to stop adding provisions funding new programs like "the new government baby-sitting service --