Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

100 Marchers Rally for Lesbian Rights, Justice

Marching for the empowerment and equality of women, about 100 people demonstrated Sunday in the first official North Carolina Dyke March.

The event started at 1 p.m. in McCorkle Place with an opening ceremony led by Carrboro resident Amy Lanou, a member of the march's organizing committee.

"The purpose of the march was to broaden the community, increase visibility and empower ourselves to make a difference," Lanou said after the event.

"For the first march in North Carolina, this is a tremendous turnout."

Senior Grace Holland said organizers hoped to bring visibility and coalition building to the lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer community.

"We want empowerment and justice for women," she said.

After the opening ceremonies, the group marched up and down Franklin Street before ending up back on campus.

Organizers started planning the march about six months ago and held it this weekend to coincide with the North Carolina Pride events that are taking place in Durham, Lanou said.

She said many people from around the state were there to support Sunday's gathering for that reason.

"The turnout proves that when women put their heads together they can accomplish anything," Lanou said.

Before the march, participants adorned the Silent Sam statue in McCorkle Place with a rainbow flag and a sign stating, "Live Free or Die."

The event featured speakers, poets and volunteers from several organizations, including the Lesbian Resource Center in Durham, whose mission is to promote the well-being of area lesbians and women.

Beth Bruch, a volunteer at the LRC, said the group defines health as more than just physical -- it extends to spiritual, social and emotional.

Tiffany Taylor, an LRC board member, said that the march was funded by donations from local businesses and that the entertainers worked free of charge.

She said she was impressed with the turnout of Sunday's event.

"The diversity is amazing," Taylor said. "There were people of all races and ages in attendance, including men as well."

Trevor Hoppe, sophomore and co-chair of UNC's Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Queer and Straight Alliance, also complimented the enthusiasm of the march participants.

"I thought it was extremely successful," he said. "Everyone in the march was psyched, and the public reaction was great."

More information about future marches is available on http://www.dykemarch.org.