Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

A Cordial Battle Over Local Turf

At forum, state Sens. Ellie Kinnaird, Howard Lee differ on lottery but little else

A redistricting battle that extended the primaries to Sept. 10 pitted Kinnaird and Lee -- longtime allies -- against each other for Orange County's lone Senate seat.

The two candidates met Tuesday in a packed Bingham Hall, readied for a debate sponsored by the Young Democrats. The candidates warmed to debate as they spoke of long histories serving Orange County and UNC-Chapel Hill.

Kinnaird highlighted legislation she proposed that led to one-stop voting, first on college campuses then across the state. Lee said he has advocated for schools by lobbying to keep overhead receipts on college campuses and by supporting graduate student tuition remissions.

Both said they disagreed with a budget provision to take away funding for UNC-CH's summer reading program. Lee further extended his support to UNC-system trustees and chancellors by promising to advocate for more university autonomy.

Kinnaird and Lee agreed that it is the N.C. General Assembly's responsibility to ensure adequate funding for UNC-system schools and community colleges. Lee said he also is taking steps to increase funding to UNC Hospitals.

But when the senators were questioned about their stances on a lottery referendum, Kinnaird and Lee took opposing sides of the debate.

"I do support a referendum for the people to vote for a lottery," Lee said. "The people have been asking to vote on a lottery for years."

But Kinnaird said that though she thinks a lottery would pass by a referendum vote, she does not favor bringing the lottery to the state.

The lottery would generate jobs in lottery agencies outside the state and would cost the state revenue spent on advertising, she said.

The senators had mixed reactions to a question about the relationship between the General Assembly and the UNC-system Board of Governors.

"I think the (BOG) is a politicized, unwieldy and not very effective body," Lee said. "I think the BOG should be cut down to no more than 18 non-elected officials."

Though they focused on educational issues, both senators mentioned their support for a moratorium on North Carolina executions.

But Kinnaird said she alone has repeatedly introduced a moratorium bill.

Both candidates said that no matter who wins, the loser will continue to support the victor.

"We've worked together for so many years," Kinnaird said. "We don't intend to stop now."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.