Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

A Hairy Situation: Girls Lop for Love

But today, more than 30 girls will cut their hair in the Pit.

And instead of being swept into a dustpan, the hair will be made into wigs through the Locks of Love organization for children who have lost their hair.

"Many patients suffer from alopecia, a disease causing the loss of hair," said Kathleen Cason, Locks of Love spokeswoman. "There are different types of the disorder, but there is often a complete loss of all body hair."

Locks of Love collects human hair donations of 10 inches or longer and makes wigs customized for each recipient.

Most of the female patients want hair of at least 8 inches long. With 10-inch to 12-inch donations, that leaves room for the manufacturing process.

Hair separated from the long donations is made into shorter pieces for male recipients.

"The wigs are generally given free of charge, though such hairpieces sell for as much as $3,000 on the market," Carson said.

If donations shorter than the 10-inch requirement are submitted, the organizations sells them and uses the money to offset production of the wigs.

"This is an amazing way to donate to a good cause in a different way," said senior Liz Crowley, an organizer of Friday's event. "This is a great way to do a little more to help."

And the organization needs as much help as possible.

"To make one hair piece takes 10 to 15 donations of 10-inch lengths," Cason explained. "And the pieces are custom-made for each individual recipient."

After the four-month customization process, the wig is vacuum-fitted to the recipient's head, which prevents shifting and the use of uncomfortable adhesives, Cason said.

"The pieces are of the highest quality," she continued. "The children can swim in them, do sports in them and most importantly, they look very natural and real."

And UNC students aren't alone in wanting to help.

High-profile sponsors such as "Ally McBeal's" Portia de Rossi, and star-studded fund-raisers have helped put the organization on the map.

Carson said 80 percent of the donors are children themselves.

"It's an incredible way for children to really make a difference," she said.

Potential wig recipients can apply online, and many doctors refer their young patients to the organization.

And the difference the wigs have made in these young lives is immeasurable, recipients and their families say.

"I've never seen the look of pure exhilaration on her face before like I did when she saw her wig for the first time," wrote Jacey Prince, on the organization's Web site. "She was ecstatic!"

Crowley said she and a friend decided to donate after learning about the organization.

"My hair was getting really long, and I thought it would be great to donate it to Locks of Love," Crowley said. "And I also wanted to raise awareness for the cause."

Crowley said organizers hope more than 30 girls will be donating hair today, though not all of it will be made directly into wigs.

"Some girls are only able to cut 6 inches off, and those donations will be sold, and the money will help to keep the organization not-for-profit," Crowley said.

And, Cason says, every little bit helps. "This means the world to these girls, and we're thankful for everyone who helps this cause."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.