Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Alternative Therapy Of Birth Simulation Deemed Hazardous

Practitioners call rebirthing prohibition a threat to freedom

U.S. Congress responded to Newmaker's death Sept. 18 in a resolution condemning the practice and asking all states to ban it.

Rebirthing involves the simulation of the birthing experience through specialized breathing and even the application of physical pressure to release suppressed emotions and possibly help adopted children form bonds with their adoptive parents.

Rep. Sue Myrick, R-N.C., author of the nonbinding resolution, stated in a press release that, "I encourage all states to outlaw this voodoo science and prevent another tragedy from happening."

But professional counselors in Chapel Hill see the resolution as a threat to patients' free choice. Steve Rogat, certified by the N.C. Board of Licensed Professional Counselors, has been practicing in Chapel Hill for five years and includes rebirthing as a treatment he offers patients.

He said he considers the practice safe and emphasized that all rebirthing training he has had has taught safety first. Rogat used rebirthing as a treatment for his own illness and has since seen its benefits among many of his patients.

Larry Green, another Chapel Hill resident who has provided rebirthing therapy in the past, further purports the practice's effectiveness. He said the congressional resolution is unfair, particularly in light of the growing malpractice rates among licensed physicians.

The Georgetown University Law Center estimated in 2000 that mortality resulting from medical errors in the U.S. ranged from 44,000 to 98,000 each year.

But Green said Newmaker's death is not a solid impetus for legislation, adding that many alternative treatments are totally safe for lay people. "One story from two years ago does not constitute a general harm to the public," he said.

N.C. Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange, said while she is aware of a recent case in which a local patient has experienced success in a similar treatment, she asserts "I believe in using best practice methodologies that are research-based."

However, she said these practices are best regulated by the medical community and would prefer supporting a licensing process rather than a state-level ban as the congressional resolution suggests.

Health policy and administration Professor Dean Harris said he acknowledges the government's role as a "policing power" and regulator of our choices for our protection.

He said the Food and Drug Administration's control over pharmaceuticals in the U.S. is another example of justified government intervention.

"This allows for the consumer's ultimate confidence in any drug he or she does consume," Harris said.

He said the legislature should open itself to the advice of the N.C. Board of Medical Examiners to determine if licensing is necessary.

He said Newmaker's death is proof rebirthing has risks and that it is the government's responsibility to guard citizens from harm, though it means an initial loss of choice.

"One bad outcome does not merit prohibition, but it is perfectly appropriate for the state to regulate medical health functions."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.