Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

ASG to Inform, Increase Voice

1st meeting of year held this weekend

The passage of the resolution follows the UNC-system Board of Governors' resolution on academic freedom, which the full board passed at its Friday meeting.

"North Carolina was the laughingstock in education this summer," said Marsha Moore, ASG vice president of academic affairs. "(This resolution) is us putting our foot down -- saying we agree with the Board of Governors."

ASG President Jonathan Ducote also laid out his strategic direction for the year, stressing that the organization's Keep N.C. Educated campaign will be the "heart and soul" of this year's actions.

"It's about keeping students and citizens informed," he said. "As student advocates, (the ASG is) trying to keep the university accessible to every North Carolinian," Ducote said.

Ducote said he also will continue efforts to gain a student vote on the BOG. The ASG president serves as a nonvoting member of the BOG.

Legislation that would have provided the student representative with a vote on the BOG has failed in the N.C. Senate several times in the last decade.

"Historically, it's proven to be a really difficult task to accomplish," Ducote said. "We have to think a bit more creatively. It's a combination of lobbying and getting students to vote."

Ducote also said he wants to create a lobbying force for all system campuses to help pressure the N.C. General Assembly to support the UNC system.

Ducote also announced a new plan of action in response to the BOG's decision Thursday to prohibit the ASG from hiring an administrative staff.

He said board members feared a professional staff might jeopardize the ASG's status as a student-run organization. "The job description we had was not what they had in mind," he said. "They said it was too aggressive in nature and what they really wanted was a secretary."

Ducote said the ASG is reviewing applications and expects the position to be filled in 60 days.

The ASG also approved nominees for vice presidents, chosen by Ducote over the summer.

The appointments are Amanda Devore, a student at N.C. State University, as vice president of finance and development; Moore, a student at Appalachian State University, as vice president of academic affairs; Sadie Cox, a student at East Carolina University, as vice president of student affairs; and Victor Landry, a Fayetteville State University student, as vice president for public affairs.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.