Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Bill Protects Domestic Abuse Victims

Roberto Campos of Florida kidnapped his ex-girlfriend Lourdes Guzman of Raleigh and, after a two-state car chase, murdered Guzman and took his own life.

After the incident, N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper said he is placing his support behind a bill in the N.C. House that will support the Address Confidentiality Program for victims of domestic violence.

Under the bill, victims who are relocating sign a statement declaring that they fear for their safety and the well-being of their children, thus allowing their address to be the property of the attorney general's office in Raleigh.

All mail would then be forwarded to them from Raleigh, and they would use their "blind address" when using the DMV and other public services.

The bill has passed through the Senate and House but will be sent back to a House committee because of several recent changes.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, said she hopes court officials will share the "blind address" provision when people file for protective orders.

Kinnaird explained that besides passing protective bills, state government helps fight domestic abuse by assisting local crisis centers with monetary aide.

"On the state level, we fund the centers and give them a certain amount of money to help victims," she said.

Locally, the Family Violence Prevention Center of Orange County has helped 481 victims of domestic violence and helped 93 of these victims obtain court orders.

"They are not alone. There are actually too many other individuals in similar situations," said Melissa Radcliffe, community services coordinator for the local center. "We give them a chance to see that they are not alone and that there is help available."

The center offers a 24-hour crisis line, meeting times during regular business hours, opportunities to find shorter- and longer-term housing, transportation to court hearings, community education and support groups in English and Spanish.

Employees also are planning special events for October's Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Of the 481 victims at the Orange County center, 58 are in support groups at the facility and 58 center clients are Spanish-speaking.

The biggest problems in domestic violence situations involve children, as most victims stay with their abuser because of child-related economic and support reasons.

"A lot of victims think 'I want to raise my child in a two-parent household,'" Radcliffe said. "It also goes back to who pays the bills."

Professor Evelyn Williams of the UNC School of Social Work said women tend to make choices that provide stability for themselves and their children.

Williams said some women will remain in violent environments because they think that is the most secure option for their children.

"Leaving is a process. Many women will leave and go back, and I think it is very important for us to not make judgments," Williams said. "Women may be in different stages of the process."

Anyone in need of help can call toll-free to reach the Family Violence Prevention Center's 24-hour helpline, (919) 929-7122.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.