Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Columnist Selectively Attacked Sororities for Widespread Practices

You and all the other nerds (acceptable because you keep us entertained with your oh-so hysterical humor) almost fooled us.

We, the sorority girls here at UNC, were just starting to think that you might actually be worth the time it takes us to shimmy into the club skirt and zip the boots. Because of (DTH columnist) Joseph (Rauch), we have moved past the 5K runs for children's causes and moved on to indulging dorky guys; dating your kind is the "in" thing right now!

So, when you get your bid from Imma Loser, please wear your letters proudly because "you really aren't all that different from what everyone says you are."

Actually, you are just what us sorority girls always knew you were ... a geeky kid who needs to trash the Greek system in order to fill the sad little scrap of paper he calls a column.

You continue to use the same generalizations and stereotypical arguments against the Greek system and arrive at the same tired conclusion!

Thus, your arguments against paying your way into an exclusive club where all you get in return is catty gossip clearly do not hold up.

You contended that friendships should be built by "social interaction" and not by money, but you used this comment to attack sororities and forgot to include the clubs and associations that thrive at UNC. Almost every group on campus and in the "real world" for that matter relies on money from its members in order to support its goals and objectives.

Furthermore, as for the "Lord of the Flies" mentality, you again forgot to include the University, all athletic teams and even scholarship programs in your attack.

See Joseph, organizations cannot include everyone. The University could never admit as many students as apply or grant scholarships to everyone that wants one; likewise, sports teams cannot allow everyone to join and play. Just as The Daily Tar Heel chose you to write instead of another student, groups must choose their members based on characteristics and requirements.

So, it looks like you're out. But it's OK, because being "out" is "in" right now, and it might even land you a date with a sorority girl who couldn't find anyone else to let her wear his shirt to class on Friday.

Ashley Duncan
Junior
School of Journalism and Mass Communication

The length rule was waived.