Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Columnist Should Stop Blaming Others, Offer Constructive Criticism

Every Friday I read the Daily Tar Heel for a recap of the week's events and a little laugh.

Last year, there was a lighter side to the DTH with columns that discussed serious issues, such as minority rights, without much negativity.

This year it's a different story -- Tiffanie Drayton's column becomes increasingly pessimistic each week, leaving nothing positive to be said.

While I understand the need to air certain issues and support freedom of speech and freedom of the press, I do not think these things need to be done in such a dark way.

Even her staff picture darkens the mood of her articles with furrowed brows and a harsh expression.

Drayton's recent article concerning hip-hop music displayed this negativity with generalized claims aimed at majority groups. I realize this is a column, but to stereotype white people as rich men who wear Abercrombie and Fitch and perpetuate the rise of bad music is a bit much to tolerate.

Have you ever noticed that if you accuse and complain constantly, people stop listening to what you have to say? Take the Pit Preacher, for example -- we all hear him, but nobody pays attention.

You will get people to take note of your messages when they offer a more constructive form of criticism that does not place all the blame on one particular group.

The messages are there, and they are good, but sifting through the garbage to get to them becomes too much work.

It seems as though majority groups aren't the only ones who need to make an effort to stop bigotry.

If minorities can't learn to let go of their prejudices, how can they expect things to change?

Amanda Fox
Sophomore
Elementary Education