Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Cosby To Bid Farewell To Seniors

"I am delighted that Bill Cosby has accepted the University's invitation," Moeser stated.

Moeser will preside over the ceremony May 18, 2003, at Kenan Stadium.

Senior Class President Paymon Rouhanifard said Cosby was the overwhelming first choice in seniors' suggestions submitted last spring.

"I think Bill Cosby is a wonderful choice," he said. "Not only is he one of the most beloved comedians of our generation, Mr. Cosby is also a great spokesperson and advocate for higher education.

"We are so pleased that such a dominant force in American culture will be coming to share a special day in Chapel Hill."

Cosby, an influential performer in the second half of the 20th century, has had an unparalleled television career and has written numerous best-selling books.

He also values the importance of higher education, having received a master's and doctorate degree from the University of Massachusetts.

The strong support from the senior class made Cosby the top nomination by the Commencement Speaker Advisory Committee when the group submitted its list to Moeser in April.

Moeser sent the official invitation to the speaker last spring. Senior class officials said Cosby accepted during the summer.

Other people receiving nominations included entertainer Michael J. Fox, former President Clinton and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Last year's senior class officers also invited Cosby to be their Commencement speaker after he performed on campus in October. Cosby verbally accepted but later declined because he had already committed to speaking at Haverford College in Pennsylvania on May 19, the day of UNC's Commencement.

Hoping to avoid a situation like last year, this year's senior class officers started the search for a Commencement speaker about four months early. Last year's speaker, U.S. Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., wasn't confirmed until mid-January.

"If you want a high-profile guest to show up, you've got to get started earlier," said Rob Albright, senior class vice president.

Albright said he is excited about Cosby coming to speak, calling him a icon of his generation. "He is a role model and a champion for education," Albright said.

Cosby was quoted as saying in a statement that he enjoys opportunities to address graduating college students.

"It is always a pleasure to see those fresh faces of the new graduates," he said. "It's also fun to notice the relieved smiles of the parents who are wondering, 'Are they going to be all right?'"

Albright expects the speech to engage a wide range of people. "He'll come in with a humorous perspective and appeal to what the University is all about."