Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

OWASA representatives say it is fortunate that the number of days left of water for the area increased from 133 days last Monday to 137 days Friday.

Cane Creek Reservoir is 16 feet 7 inches below full capacity, and the University Lake lacks 4 feet 9 inches of needed water.

OWASA spokesman Greg Feller said the number fluctuates daily because residents are conserving more water, not from the occasional precipitation.

The demand for water has decreased greatly from August to September.

In August, residents used 11.5 million gallons per day as opposed to 8.4 million gallons used per day thus far this month.

"The demand (for water) is much lower than it was," Feller said.

Although Feller said the lakes are still only around 40 percent full, the remaining days of water can increase with correct conservation efforts.

OWASA Executive Director Ed Kerwin, said he is pleased with the area's response to the water restrictions implemented Sept. 9 and hopes people can continue to conserve water so the area can one day be out of the drought.

"We have seen a very nice reduction on customer demand," Kerwin said. "Unless we get some major rain, it's going to take many months to get out of the drought."

UNC faculty, staff and students have been working alongside OWASA to conserve water.

Campus dining halls still use disposable dishes, staff no longer wash state vehicles, and outdoor irrigation is limited.

In some residence halls, low-flow showerheads have been installed, plastic bottles have been placed in toilet tanks and water leak reports are considered an emergency maintenance.

Ray DuBose, facility maintenance director for the University, said the facilities department might buy 300 new water-free urinals, among other initiatives.

"We're still looking aggressively at cutting off air conditioning in some buildings," DuBose said.

More than 100 water meters exist on campus, and though they are not checked frequently, UNC employees have positive outlooks for improvements in water conservation.

"With all of the activity that's in the air, we're sure to see some significant water conservation," DuBose said.

A student task group will meet Tuesday to focus on ideas to conserve water and devise new ways the University can reduce its water consumption.

Officials said that if OWASA works with the University, the county can increase the number of days remaining that the community will have water and solve the water deficiency.

Feller said, "The need to conserve is not for the next few days but must continue to help with the drought in the year to come."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.