Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Depiction of Bowles as Dishonest Is Inaccurate, Ignores His Character

Michael McKnight's recent column on Erskine Bowles' U.S. Senate campaign was blatantly erroneous and disturbingly off-base.

To say that Bowles makes little mention of his time serving under the Clinton administration and wishes to "erase" the Clinton years from his past simply is not true.

I sat and listened while Bowles thoroughly outlined the progress that was made while he was Clinton's chief of staff and head of the Small Business Administration: a balanced budget, a decrease in the unemployment rate, an increase in funding for education and billions of dollars in loans for women and minorities involved in business, to name a few.

It is clear that Bowles is proud of what he helped accomplish during his time in Washington, as well he should be.

He has proved that he can work with members of both parties to find sensible solutions to our nation's problems.

Bowles has nothing to hide about his time in the White House; Bill Clinton's personal misconduct has absolutely nothing to do with Erskine Bowles' individual integrity.

Surely no one was more angered by Clinton's behavior than Bowles, who was working 18-hour days on behalf of the president to push his agenda and effect positive change in this country.

Furthermore, Bowles has made no attempt to "shirk responsibility for his involvement in the corporate arena."

And why should he?

As an investment banker, he was a successful, ethical businessman who played by the rules and earned respect throughout the business community.

Bowles is appalled by the current corporate scandals, he supports current legislation on business reform, and he would like to see even more measures taken to insure that companies operate in a manner that is best for their employees and shareholders.

To infer that he is unethical or dishonest simply because he worked for a firm that is currently having a suit brought against it is both misinformed and irresponsible.

I really don't know how you connect the dots between someone in his firm making bad stock picks and Bowles being the next Kenneth Lay.

Like many opponents of Bowles, McKnight is trying to paint him as dishonest and devious -- and the shoe just doesn't fit.

Perhaps McKnight should stop trying to mislead his readers.

Will Johnson
Senior
Political Science

The length rule was waived.