Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Diversity Includes All Minorities on Campus, Not Just Black Students

In response to Eboni K. Williams' comments about the UNC "diversity" ranking, I must say that one wonders what her vision of diversity would reflect. She comments that she would not consider UNC to rank sixth in diversity until graduation numbers of black students ranks sixth, among other comments in regards to numbers of blacks on campus.

Am I wrong, or is diversity about more than the number of blacks on campus? Aren't other groups an integral part of a diverse environment?

In order to measure (is it necessary to quantify diversity in numbers?) diversity on campus, one must look past simply the numbers as they reflect black students.

Hate to break it to you, but there are many, many other groups on this campus besides blacks. And that is what makes for diversity.

Trying to change the meaning of diversity to something that only reflects the interests of blacks is pretty much the complete opposite of what diversity really is. If you are unhappy with the black representation at UNC, that is fine; however, it doesn't mean that UNC isn't an extremely diverse place. Diversity isn't just black and white.

Mike Gimbol
Class of 2000