Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH Looking for New Faces

In the past, the DTH's recruitment process has been rather passive. In an effort to be more proactive this year, I entertained notions of targeting campus groups, circulating e-mails and speaking to various classes.

But when all the DTH editors discussed these ideas at our August retreat, we realized that there would be many problems associated with a campaign of this sorts. We eventually agreed that targeting specific groups would be unfair and that general publicity is the best solution.

The problem with approaching student groups is that more than 500 of them exist. Limited resources and time prevent DTH editors from going to every one of UNC's student groups, so who do we pick?

Take cultural groups for example. How do we decide between the Black Student Movement, SANGAM, the Carolina Indian Circle and CHispA? Or political persuasion -- do we approach the College Republicans, Young Democrats, Choice USA, Carolina for Life or the Carolina Review?

Although it might seem that making some effort is better than making no effort, the problem lies in where to draw the line. No matter who we approached, somebody would cry foul and assume the DTH was picking favorites.

Instead, the DTH has tried to step up publicity efforts. We've held interest meetings and run announcements about our hiring process daily. Ombudsman Michael Flynn this week encouraged readers to apply, and today I am doing the same.

The application process is open to everyone -- not just undergraduate journalism majors. As a teaching paper, we hire people with all ranges of journalism experience -- even none. We're looking for students of all ages, backgrounds and beliefs, all races, majors and religions. A more diverse newsroom will only help us better our coverage and grow as journalists.

And this is a great opportunity for people who have criticisms of the paper. In the past we've been called racist, sexist, too liberal, too conservative (yes, we've heard both), too out-of-touch with students. If you think any of these are true, apply to be on staff. We need your voice in the newsroom.

A little-known fact -- the truth is, we hire just about anyone who applies as long as he or she shows enthusiasm and dedication. So that means that if our staff isn't representative of the campus community, then we're not getting all the right applications. That's where you come in. If you're willing to work, we'll find a spot for you.

Please pick up an application in Suite 104 of the Student Union. Applications are due by noon Monday. We look forward to inviting you on staff.

Contact Editor Kim Minugh at kminugh@email.unc.edu.