Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Election Aims to Fill 8 Empty Seats

3 members were dropped from Student Congress this week.

Congress expelled three members Tuesday for neglecting to file the necessary paperwork. Those expelled were Joanne Peters, District 17; Andrew Huffman, District 20; and Allie Perry, District 14.

Speaker Tony Larson said that when elected, Congress members must provide three pieces of information to reserve their positions. Ethics Committee member Matthew Carter said members must prove they live in the district they are representing, provide a list of student organizations they are involved in and present a plan for keeping in touch with constituents.

The members have had since last spring to gather the pertinent information.

Ethics Committee Chairman Dan Herman said Perry failed to file a proof of residence. Huffman and Peters failed to file all three forms.

The three expulsions come after two Congress members resigned this week. John McCusker, District 21, and Justin Powell, District 5, gave up their seats.

Three additional seats have been vacant for the entire semester, leaving a total of eight spots open.

The developments will not alter the timing of an online special election to fill the eight vacant seats, which will be held Sept. 24 through Student Central. Student Body President Jen Daum called the special election earlier in the month to fill the first three vacant seats.

Larson said interested candidates must determine if they live in a district with an open seat and then let constituents in the areas know they are interested in running.

The seats available include one seat in districts 2, 14, 17, 20 and 21 and three seats in District 5.

Two candidates' names will appear on the ballot for District 5 -- Michael Spinks and John Surface. The other positions must be filled with write-in votes.

Branson Page, Graduate and Professional Student Federation president, said that at a Sept. 10 meeting Congress stressed the need to fill the previous voids.

To publicize the need for candidates, a GPSF representative sent an e-mail to the Congress listserv. This e-mail addressed the need for members to spread the word about the positions which needed to be filled.

Daum said filling the seats is important for making sure students' voices are heard in important campus matters.

"Student government can only effectively represent the constituents on campus when the seats are full."