Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Few Changes In Campus Crime Data

Safety issues, procedures included in report.

The report, published by the Campus Security Committee, not only includes statistics for crimes on campus but also information and procedures on a variety of safety issues, said Derek Poarch, director of the Department of Public Safety.

Statistics listed in the report range from robbery and arson to liquor law and drug-related arrests and disciplinary referrals over the last three years. The report also covers incidents at UNC Hospitals and Granville Towers.

One notable trend was the rise in liquor law arrests on campus and in residence halls from 2000 to 2001. According to the report, arrest numbers rose from two on campus and one in residence halls in 2000 to 47 arrests on campus and 29 in residence halls in 2001.

Poarch said the numbers are misleading, saying a discrepancy in the counting method from 2000 caused the disparity. "In 2000, we only counted those that were arrested and taken into custody," he said. "(In 2001), we also included citations."

There was a sharp decline in liquor law disciplinary referrals between 1999 and 2001, from 206 on campus in 1999 to zero in 2001.

Poarch said disciplinary referrals can come from different sources, including Student Health Service and the dean of students. The large number of sources might have attributed to the high rate of disciplinary referrals made in 1999, he said, but he does not know why there were none reported in 2001.

In addition to crime and arrest statistics, the security report includes information on safety issues. Topics covered by the report range from UNC alcohol and drug policies to pedestrian safety to procedures for reporting crimes. "It's a very broad look at safety," Poarch said. "It's much more than a statistical report."

The report also includes information on the use of gamma-hydroxybutyrate, the "date rape" drug, and ways to avoid becoming a victim of its use. The drug is often put into alcoholic drinks to make a person unconscious or unable to resist sexual advances.

GHB became a concern last week after a UNC student was charged with one count of possession of the chemical gamma-butyrolactone, which is used to manufacture GHB. The incident was not mentioned in the report.

The report received favorable endorsements from student leaders. Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller said it is important for students to be informed on all the safety issues the security report covers.

"Students need to feel safe, and they need to be safe," he said. "Being aware (of the issues) gives a sense of security and also helps us figure out which steps to take to protect ourselves."

The report is available online at http://main.psafety.unc.edu/securityreport.