Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Government Should Help Drug Addicts, Not Toss Them In Jail

This is the kind of blanket statement we all hear from our local Cheech & Chong wannabes about the status of drugs laws in the United States. But are they as far off the mark as everyone thinks they are?

Our state and federal drug laws, to put it succinctly, are out of touch with the nature of our government. Last time I checked, the government's sole responsibility was to keep me free from external harm, whether it is foreign invasion or Michael Myers running after you with the latest model Ginsu.

The same government that maintains our military and ensures our constitutional rights should not have the ability to determine which self-destructive behaviors are acceptable and which are not.

If I want to hit myself in the head with a 10-pound sledgehammer repeatedly, I can do that. But heaven forbid I use an illegal drug or two.

In a remarkable turn of events, many European countries have actually wised up to this notion before we have. As of July 1, 2002, Portugal decriminalized the use of all drugs. Instead of putting people in jail for possession, Portugal has monetary or counseling-related penalties for both addicts and casual users alike.

The program intends to help curb drug use through a far more educational, reasoned and even-handed approach than sending someone up the river. It even has a federally funded needle-exchange program to limit the spread of many blood-borne diseases, particularly AIDS.

Switzerland, another country open in its drug policy, has only one federal law outlining drug use. It even offers medical supervision for heroin addicts to prevent a fatal overdose.

Instead of a reasoned approach to the drug problem, which is still no more solved than when the elder Bush started his War on Drugs, our government buries its head in the sand, convinced its blockhead approach will cure this societal ill.

So, I'd like to offer a solution.

The government would do a better job if it expended more energy trying to help these men and women overcome their addictions than punishing them for these shortcomings.

When Drug Enforcement Agency statistics show that nearly a third of all inmates in state prisons are there because of drug possession, there's a serious and preventable problem with the system.

Much of the government's argument for keeping drugs in the realm of crime is the black market drugs have created. Traffickers and big-time drug dealers, the government argues, are the primary reason drug laws still exist on the books.

If the government legalized all drugs and authorized their agencies as the only permissible sellers, they could effectively eliminate the market for these criminals by undermining their economic model.

Heck, the government could even place an obscenely high tax on these products and generate revenue. Such a program could fund more drug education programs, greatly reducing the need for the very products the government is regulating.

This program also effectively could track the status of drug use in our nation. It would be far easier to see where our citizens are falling prey to drug use and which drugs they're using than the DEA's method of keeping its elbow on the pulse of America.

Don't get me wrong, drug use in this nation is a serious problem that deserves serious thought and debate. Ignoring the plight of many a drug addict or simply pretending that jail is the best option is at best delusion and at worst exacerbating the problem.

Maybe the Cheech & Chong wannabes aren't that far off.

E-mail Joseph Rauch at rauch@email.unc.edu.