Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Grocery Store Shoppers Can Give to UNC-W

Program partners school, Harris Teeter

UNC-W formed the first collegiate partnership with Harris Teeter last week as part of the Together in Education Program.

The program has allocated funds to various educational facilities through customer contribution since its founding in 1998.

When customers scan their discount cards at one of the 142 grocery stores in the South, a percentage is allocated to the school of their choice.

UNC-W now will be included on the list of educational funding recipients.

"Educating our children has been a top priority since our first day of business," Harris Teeter president Fred Morganthall stated in a press release. "In the 2001-02 school year, we gave over $1 million to schools throughout our market areas."

The program has donated about $3 million to schools since 1998.

Mimi Cunningham, media spokeswoman for UNC-W, said she expects a lot of interest in the program because of the university's large student and alumni base.

Hoggard High School, a neighboring high school involved in the program, earned $250,000 last year with a student base of only 2,000.

UNC-W officials said they expect comparable support from the community, students and alumni.

Pat Leonard, vice chancellor of student affairs at UNC-W, stated in the release that funds generated through the partnership will be used to enrich campus life for students.

"Students will be actively involved in making recommendations regarding how the money should be used," Leonard stated.

The funds could be used for purchasing equipment at the Student Recreation Center or developing new programs at the Leadership Center.

But Leonard stated that she wants the community to be involved as well.

"I hope our community members will show gratitude for this opportunity by participating in the program," she stated.

Jessica Graham, spokeswoman for Harris Teeter, said that if UNC-W's program is successful, it could be duplicated at other colleges and universities.

"Together in Education is in test phase, and Harris Teeter will be unable to form future alliances unless the program is deemed successful," Graham said.

Mark Meares, director of the department of corporate and foundation relations for UNC-Chapel Hill, stated in an e-mail that he likes the idea of the program.

University funding often relies on outside support to help students fund college expenses, Meares said.

"Corporate and foundation gifts and grants for students, faculty and programs is a growing area of private support for UNC-Chapel Hill," Meares stated.

Harris Teeter will make a decision regarding future coalitions with universities based on the success of the UNC-W program.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.