Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Ham's Reopens With New Murals, TVs

Restaurant has been closed since May fire

Originally opened in 1984, Ham's was forced to shut its doors May 19 after a kitchen fire left the back of the building destroyed and the front severely damaged by soot.

To reopen, the restaurant underwent construction during the summer months that resulted in a total renovation of the building.

Ham's remains under corporate ownership of Charlie Erwin.

Although the building was completely renovated, the floor plan of the bar and restaurant will remain relatively unchanged, despite the addition of several televisions and a 12-foot-high big screen.

In the past, students and Chapel Hill residents have flocked to Ham's on big UNC game nights for its big-screen televisions.

Other improvements Ham's made to cater to the Chapel Hill community are the creation of an original mural depicting scenes from UNC-CH varsity athletics and a list of every national championship title that the University has won.

The artist who painted the mural in the Franklin Street Ham's also created a similar work in a Ham's restaurant that recently opened near the UNC-Greensboro campus.

Ham's also has developed an expanded menu with new selections and a wider variety of choices, such as a new appetizer of bacon and cheese waffle fries.

Roger Mackay, eastern regional district director for the chain, said Ham's will now concentrate on attracting a more family-oriented crowd.

Mackay also said one of the goals of the brand-new staff is to provide a peaceful atmosphere complemented with excellent service.

Ham's, which is scheduled to officially reopen today, opened temporarily Saturday for the UNC football game against Texas.

Mackay was enthusiastic about the turnout Saturday night and said it was a huge success.

"We opened at 3, and we were slammed," he said.

"Later, it cleared out about 60 percent, but picked back up after the game. We stayed open until 2 a.m."

Mackay said he expects future business to increase almost as soon as Ham's reopens.

"Considering the amount of queries, people are very much looking forward to it," he said.

"We hope we can really capture that lunch service."

Robert Humphreys, executive director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Commission, said that the commission played no role in the reopening of Ham's but that he anticipates its return to the Franklin Street dining community.

"Ham's has been a good culinary neighbor for 16 years," he said. "We are really happy to have them back. They will certainly do a lot better (in business).

"It's like having an old friend in a new suit."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.