Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Latino Restaurant, Center Closes Doors

Local Latinos need new place to gather

The closing came as a surprise to many in the community.

Andrea Manson, spokeswoman for El Pueblo, a nonprofit organization that serves the area's growing Latino community, said she was shocked. "It was always packed."

Manson said El Chilango was a great asset to the community. "It hasn't been just a restaurant at all."

Indeed, El Chilango, which served authentic Mexican dishes, brought much more than popular food to the community.

Owner Jacques Menache watched the Latino population in the area grow through the 1990s and saw the need for a Latin American cultural center. He decided a restaurant was the best strategy to bring Latinos and Americans together.

In addition to the authentic recipes Menache grew up with in Mexico City, El Chilango, which was located at 506 Jones Ferry Road, featured art exhibits, salsa dancing, old-time music and Latino bands throughout the week. English and Spanish classes were offered, and a large community board was erected to provide a forum for local information.

Alderman John Herrera commended Menache's endeavors.

"We need more places where people can interact. People fear what they don't know," he said. "We need places where people can see the immigrant in a different light."

Alderman Diana McDuffee acknowledged the continually growing need for Latino integration.

"The 2000 census states that 12 percent of Carrboro's population is Latino, and we must remember that this number is likely a significant undercount," McDuffee said.

"The Board of Aldermen is very interested in supporting the Latino community."

Menache's initial intention was to make El Chilango accessible to everyone. After the events of Sept. 11 this became increasingly difficult.

Menache lost many of his customers when local companies such as Tyson, Harris Teeter and Food Lion were forced to fire many Latinos who lacked required documentation, which fell under scrutiny after Sept. 11. Many Latinos were forced to leave the area in search of new jobs.

"I lost 90 percent of the lunch train who were workers in the area," Menache said.

Ruffin Slater, general manager of Weaver Street Market, said business deterioration has been a common problem over the last year.

"The economic downturn has made it a harder year for restaurants in general," Slater said.

He said he is sad to see El Chilango go.

"It was an ambitious idea, and it was a success in every way except when it came to profits," Slater said.

The closing of El Chilango has not completely discouraged Menache, though he must still pay off the restaurant's debt. He said he plans to wait for the economic recession to blow over before he attempts to bring another cultural center to the area.

"My dream is to find a place with classrooms, soccer fields and everything to help train and retool Latinos."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.