Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Lexington Policy Won't Alter Water Restrictions

Lexington, located about 80 miles west of Chapel Hill, received enough rainfall recently to lower some of its restrictions on water usage.

Despite the town's temporary relief, spokesmen from Orange Water and Sewer Authority said the Chapel Hill and Carrboro water supply remains low.

Wednesday's estimates placed local reservoirs -- University Lake and Cane Creek Reservoir -- at less than 40 percent of total storage. Only 145 estimated days of water use remain.

OWASA spokesman Greg Feller said it would be incorrect to assume that Lexington's situation had any bearing on the local water supply. "Rain doesn't fall evenly," Feller said.

OWASA board of directors member Peter Gordon said the situation in Lexington is independent from that of the local reservoirs.

"Rainfall can be incredibly local," Gordon said. "It's probably premature to think about loosening water restrictions now."

Board member Susannah Holloway encouraged Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents to remember that Lexington has separate reservoirs and therefore a different situation. "People are waiting for news that pertains to our area," she said.

Board member John Smith said he was opposed to any change in classification as long as current drought conditions continue.

"It's like trying to steer a battleship," Smith said. "There's an awful lot of momentum."

He also said concerns have been raised by Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents who think the water restrictions have hurt local landscaping and nursery businesses that typically require higher amounts of water to function properly.

Smith said that if current drought and consumption trends continue, the water supply will run dangerously low by Christmas this year and could be completely empty by July 2003.

According to the OWASA Web site, the current drought is the worst in 77 years.

While recent rainfall did create some minor improvements, University Lake remains almost 5 feet below full capacity, and Cane Creek Reservoir is about 17 feet below capacity.

Feller stressed the precarious nature of the local water supply.

"We have a very real risk that we could run out of water in 2003."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.