Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

LGBTQ Center Would Meet Diverse Needs of Campus Community

There seems to be a fluctuating level of support for the Office of LGBTQ Life and Study here on campus. Let me therefore take this opportunity to let it be known that I, as a staff member of the University, as a supporter of an inclusive and free community, and as a gay man, support such an institution here at UNC.

As the short time that I have lived and worked in Chapel Hill progresses, I am continuously amazed at the level of diversity and the appreciation for such diversity that thrives in this small town. In the social laboratory that is Chapel Hill, both University and town, which we all enjoy and to which we all contribute, such an office at the school would be a precious resource for allowing creative, intelligent, compassionate individuals who just so happen to be queer to gather for study and sanctuary. For too long have gays, lesbians, and all non-hetero citizens been stifled, scared, hushed into positions that cause them to think that who they are as queer people is unacceptable and of no use to the world.

This office is not about "recruitment"or "perversions" or anything other than allowing us, all of us, to have a niche where what we think and who we are can be validated and supported. The gifts that people have to contribute for the greater good of all must be allowed to develop in order for their benefits to be shared and felt. Let us all begin working together for the common agenda that is the varied and wonder-filled family of humanity.

Matt Livengood
Marketing & Design Coordinator
Carolina Union