Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Local Officials Consider Nondiscrimination Policy

On Monday, the Charlotte City Council adopted a policy that would crack down on discrimination in hiring for local projects.

The policy sends the message to companies that if they want to do business with the city, they must have a policy of nondiscrimination for all business contracts.

Cities contract businesses to do work that their own resources can't handle, explained Mark Kleinschmidt, Chapel Hill Town Council member.

If Chapel Hill adopted a policy similar to that of Charlotte, it would refuse to hire a company that lacks a nondiscrimination policy -- something Kleinschmidt supports.

"We shouldn't be paying (companies that discriminate) with tax money," he said.

Kleinschmidt said cities should ensure hired companies are sincere and steadfast about their policies.

"We want them to keep that policy for all contracts," he said.

Carrboro Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said that implementing such a policy would be a step in the right direction but that the problem of discrimination cannot be eliminated in one blow.

"There's never any final action that you can take that makes things perfect," Gist said. "It's more like a constant effort."

Carrboro Alderman Mark Dorosin said he supports the idea of cities adopting nondiscrimination policies.

"I wouldn't want the city to give business to a company that didn't scrupulously follow rules and regulations regarding discrimination," he said.

"The fact is we know there is still widespread discrimination in the community so everything that anyone can do to express our collective rejection of that behavior is positive."

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce Director Aaron Nelson said the problem of discrimination has not been brought to his attention in the past.

"I think we have a diverse group of businesses owned by a diverse group of people," Nelson said. "We expect all of our members to conduct their business and not discriminate with regards to race or gender or sexual orientation."

David Hester, owner of Shoe Doctor, a shoe sales and repairs business formerly located in Chapel Hill, said he had not experienced overt discrimination.

"Being a minority, being in business, I don't really see it as an issue where the government is concerned," said Hester, whose father opened Shoe Doctor in Chapel Hill in 1972.

He said today's discrimination is hard to identify.

"I think when you deal with a town as diverse as Chapel Hill is, it's hard to tell," Hester said.

"There's probably some forms of discrimination that are going on, but it's probably not something that's intentional."

Nonetheless, Hester sees the Charlotte policy as a positive move.

"I think that if discrimination exists -- which has been acknowledged by the passage of the bill itself -- I think it's great that they're doing something about it."

Hester said the policy might cause Chapel Hill to re-examine itself.

Linda Bourne, owner of four different Carrboro businesses, said she doesn't see any different treatment but that she does agree with the city policy.

Jorge Diaz, owner of Patio Loco, said he felt the same way.

"I don't usually like to think that I've been discriminated against," Diaz said.

Kleinschmidt said Charlotte made a wise decision in taking an active stance against discrimination.

"Only then does the tire hit the pavement," he said. "I think it's fantastic."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.