Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Local Residents, UNC Alumni Protest Possible War on Iraq

5 hung banners on highway overpasses.

The group of five people, mostly UNC students and alumni, were preparing to hang banners over local highway overpasses protesting the possible conflict with Iraq that looms in the United States' future.

UNC alumnus Andrew Pearson hung a banner that read, "War Conquers, Activism Liberates," on the overpass where U.S. 15-501 South crosses South Fordham Boulevard near Southern Village.

Pearson, a member of the Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence, expressed his motivations for protesting the possible conflict with Iraq.

"A year of war with Iraq will cost North Carolina $2 billion," said Pearson.

"President Bush wanting to get rid of Hussein is not reason enough to lose $2 billion."

Erin Cody, a UNC junior majoring in sociology who is also a member of the campaign, said she wants to spread awareness that not everyone agrees with the Bush administration's stance on Iraq.

When asked about her feelings regarding Saddam Hussein, Cody said, "I don't really think I can judge if (Hussein) is a villain or not or if he should be in power. It's more me judging my own country.

"I am a pacifist." said Cody. "Saddam is by no means a good guy, but there are other (peaceful) ways of taking him out of power."

The protest banners presented various messages relating to U.S. foreign policy toward Iraq.

"Jobs Not War," "Demand Peace" and "No Blood For Oil" were some of the more poignant slogans.

The banners, which feature simple black script on bed sheets, were hung from various highway overpasses in Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Durham areas.

"Oil plays a large role," said Cody. "I don't think it is all about oil; there are lots of motivations."

Cody said one of the Bush administration's motivations for war with Iraq is to gain popular support.

Carrie Goodman, a UNC junior majoring in journalism and affiliated with the campus's Radical Rush, said she thought hanging banners in protest of a possible conflict with Iraq would help to give a voice to those who are opposed to war.

Radical Rush is a campus project to recruit activist-minded students wishing to get involved in the campus community.

"I am mostly out here this morning because I think it is important to be a part of the anti-war movement and to show people that there is a dissenting opinion," Goodman said.

"I am concerned both for the military and innocent civilians," said Brandon Jourdan, who is not affiliated with UNC but participated in the banner-hanging.

Jourdan said the Bush administration has ulterior motives for wanting to remove Hussein from power, possibly related to oil or money.

"I am opposed to another war with Iraq," said Jourdan.

"I think the Bush administration has had trouble proving to the world that Iraq is a threat."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.