Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Meal Plan Hits Streets

The Carolina Meal Plan, in its first year of existence, is operated by the Campus Dining Network, a national organization that offers alternative meal plans to combat the "limited menu choices, inflexible hours and rising cost" of traditional university meal plans, according to its Web site.

CDN operates similar programs in 18 university communities. Chapel Hill is one of the most recent to adopt the meal plan, and cardholders can use their plan at any of the 18 locations nationwide. The closest area that offers the CDN option is Raleigh, which hosts N.C. State University.

Jay Carothers, campus manager of the Carolina Meal Plan, said parents are more willing to add money to the card rather than giving their student a credit card because they know it is only being used for food. "Students can put anywhere from $50 to $1,100 on their meal plan," he said.

Carothers said students who live off campus are most likely to use the card but that it is open to all students, UNC staff and residents. "It offers flexibility," he said. "The balance transfers from each semester, and the plan offers better meal choices."

Carothers said about 60 students use the plan and that in the past week an additional 38 students joined. Students receive a $10 bonus for each person they refer to Carolina Meal Plan if the student signs up for a minimum of $150.

"We expect to see a large growth in the number of students who use the meal plan next semester," he said. "We got a late start this year. When we sent out mailings, students already had meal plans instead of signing up with us."

Carothers said the organization will send 26,000 mailings to parents before students sign up for spring meal plans.

"Students who have the plan will tell their friends, and as the network spreads, we'll pick up more students."

Michael Rose, general manager of Jersey Mike's Subs, said he is pleased with the Carolina Meal Plan. Since joining the group, he has seen an increase in the amount of money students have spent at his business with the meal plan.

"We have had no problems with the meal plan," Rose said. "It's an easy process, even easier than regular credit card terminals."

Rose said that only a few students have the Carolina Meal Plan but that he has seen customers with the card frequently. "(Student card use) went from $9 one week to $200 the next," Rose said. "We have seen a dramatic increase."

Two local businesses, Owens 501 Diner and Carolina Coffee Shop, are scheduled to sign on today with the Carolina Meal Plan. This will bring the number of participating businesses to 24, with more planning to join, Carothers said.

Evan Klingman, director of Carolina Dining Services, declined to comment because he said he lacked information about Carolina Meal Plan's procedures.

Carothers said the Carolina Meal Plan is beneficial for both local businesses and students.

"The Carolina Meal Plan brings added business and repeat customers to local restaurants," Carothers said. "Before, students were spending more money on movies, CDs or clothes, but now there is a pool of money for extra dining."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.