Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Men's Soccer Forward Charged With Assault

University police arrested senior forward David Testo of 506 Church St. for an assault inflicting serious injury.

The charges stem from a fight between two UNC students, one of whom allegedly was Testo, at 3:10 a.m. Saturday in the parking lot outside Morrison Residence Hall.

University police Lt. Archie Daniel said the victim and a man he did not know got into an argument that led to a physical fight.

In an interview Monday, the victim said he was defending a friend when the suspect knocked him on the ground. Reports state that the victim was bleeding from the mouth and was intoxicated at the time police arrived.

The victim was treated at the scene by paramedics and advised to go to the UNC Hospitals emergency room. The victim said he went to the emergency room to have his bleeding chin looked at.

Testo was later arrested and charged Sunday in connection with the incident.

The victim said Monday that he wasn't aware anyone was arrested in the case. "I don't think he did anything wrong," the victim said.

Testo could not be reached for comment, but Matt Bowers, spokesman for the men's soccer team, said Testo acted in self-defense.

Bowers said UNC men's soccer coach Elmar Bolowich and Director of Athletics Dick Baddour are investigating the incident to determine whether Testo will be punished. "We don't want to rush into anything," he said.

Bowers said Bolowich was informed about the situation by Testo, who called Bowers on Sunday.

Testo, who scored 11 goals last season, is considered one of the top scorers in the ACC.

He is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on Oct. 11.