Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Northside Requests No Duplexes

As a result, the council is considering a clause in its development ordinance that would restrict the construction of duplexes and, according to Mark Chilton, executive director of EmPOWERment Inc., would increase building permit petitions to an average of one a week before the clause goes into effect.

Mark Patmore, organizer of the Chapel Hill Landlords' Association, said the residents' increasing requests are a "complete reaction to the ordinance, not toward the neighborhood, students or the University."

Northside's prime location, stretching from North Columbia Street to Carrboro along West Rosemary Street, and inexpensive property have attracted investors seeking to accommodate the expanding University population with off-campus housing.

Investors are buying property in the predominately black neighborhood, converting it into an unattractive mess, full of noise, sport utility vehicles, trash and parties, said Elaine Norwood, a Northside Community Association board of directors member and Northside resident.

Although the increase in duplexes brings more residents, Patmore said, "Landlords have contributed to revitalizing the neighborhood, making it a safer, cleaner, more respectable neighborhood that students feel comfortable living in."

In spring 2002, the Town Council toured the Northside neighborhood, and member Flicka Bateman said it was "a wake-up call for council members that we are losing the character of this (Northside) neighborhood."

Bateman continued by saying the objection to further development of duplexes lies in students not following the ordinances or norms of the neighborhood.

The balance is shifting toward students, with 40 to 50 percent of housing in Northside currently rental property. The majority of the residents are happy with the mix but want to see the community return to the family character it once had.

Chilton said, "EmPOWERment is afraid (Northside) is going to be nothing but off-campus housing for students, but we want to see a neighborhood."

He said EmPOWERment, a nonprofit organization, is committed to purchasing neighborhood homes, improving them and selling them to first-time, low-income buyers. Northside residents say the ordinance is not designed to be against students but for preserving the neighborhood's history and future.

Norwood said she loves the town of Chapel Hill and the students, but she said, "There are three set of laws (in Chapel Hill): the white law, the student law and the black law. That's the way it's set up, and that's the way it is."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.