Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Officials To Track Foreign Students

The INS has set a Jan. 30 deadline

By Jan. 30, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service requires every college in the nation to enter information about foreign students and scholars in the new Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.

After the deadline, the INS will not accept visa documents outside of the SEVIS system -- a move that could effectively shut down colleges' international student programs, officials said.

Schools could begin sending information July 1, but Bob Locke, director of the International Center, said UNC hasn't reported anything yet. "It's going to be a real crunch (to implement the program)," he said.

UNC is still in the preliminary planning stages and has not developed a proposal for the database's implementation. Locke said he hopes to have one complete in a couple of weeks.

One factor in the delay has been little direction on the part of the federal government to establish final restrictions.

Also, computer glitches are slowing the program's completion. The database can only process one entry at a time and isn't set up for batch processing, where all the students could be entered at once, Locke said.

University officials said the software to support the system could cost as much as $20,000 to $30,000 -- money Locke said UNC doesn't have. "It is not a good year in the University budget or the state budget to deal with it," he said.

Officials said the program also would require extra staff to update the database. The SEVIS database is designed to promptly inform the INS about changes in the status of foreign students.

The database would require UNC to report to the INS when any of the 1,200 international students on campus change their address, major or enrollment status.

Congress passed legislation in 1996 to create the SEVIS pilot program, but it was delayed until the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks gave it a stronger urgency.

Three of the 19 Sept. 11 terrorists entered the country using student visas.

INS officials don't think the deadline is unmanageable and recently clarified that colleges only need to report foreign students who change their status or enroll in the spring term after Jan. 30.

But Locke said that would include most foreign students because students move often and classes are frequently dropped and added.

Chancellor James Moeser e-mailed all students Friday informing them about SEVIS. In the message, Moeser called the extra security measures "necessary."

But Locke said the program unfairly targets students as the source of terrorism. "Most of the terrorists were not students," he said. "This is not going to be the answer to terrorism."

Locke said tougher visa restrictions have reduced the number of international students studying at UNC this year, and programs like SEVIS will only compound that trend.