Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Opposing Views Clash at Anti-War Teach-In

Both boos and cheers echoed throughout the room as five panelists discussed issues like the Bush administration's stance on Iraq and the potential effects of the war on the homeland.

"Don't Attack Iraq: A Teach-in on the Ethics and Politics of an Invasion of Iraq," was sponsored by the Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence, Students United for a Responsible Global Environment and the Progressive Faculty Network.

But both sides of the political spectrum were represented at the discussion. A delegation of about 35 College Republican members occupied a back corner of the room and held signs supporting President Bush and reminding people of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"It's the same hate-America rhetoric that we heard last year but this time more flamboyant," said Allie Perry, chairwoman of the College Republicans, referring to the teach-ins held last year denouncing military action after Sept. 11.

But the majority of the audience were students from the anti-war groups.

Junior Jenks Miller, a member of SURGE said, "I am really excited to see people with right-wing beliefs finally getting to a discourse where we're not preaching to one another."

John Cox, a graduate student and member of the Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence, helped organize the event. Cox said having differing opinions represented at the teach-in gave a "good example of the sentiment of students and ordinary people in the country."

The overall sentiment from the speakers was that the war in Iraq is inevitable but that they do not feel discouraged from campaigning against it.

Rania Masri, one of the most vocal panelists, discussed the potential effects of a war on Iraqi people and how past U.S. sanctions and air wars have been the primary cause of innocent casualties in Iraq.

Masri said she thinks the situation primarily is about the United States' need for oil and said she hopes the United States will adopt a "no blood for oil" stance. "What right do we have to control their resources?" she said. "This is the most un-American thing you can think of."

Lenore Yarger ignited the crowd with her call to help Iraqi citizens rather than focus on the actions of the Iraqi government. "My call stands with the poor and oppressed rather than with the empire."

After the panelists finished their speeches, they fielded questions on issues like Saddam Hussein's persecution of innocent civilians and the effects of sending U.S. family members into war.

Then the audience and panelists split into discussion groups that covered the effects of the media on the anti-war movement and how to better mobilize peaceful anti-war resistance.

This teach-in is one of many events being held this week for the UNC Radical Rush, a week organized by radical organizations to enlarge campus activism.