Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

RHA Fills All Posts, Set for Rebuilding

Starts Hall Brawl, new buddy system.

"We have gotten the year off to a great start," said RHA President Joanna Jordan.

The RHA executive board has every position filled, and there is an area governor for each residence hall community.

Student leaders began recruiting for this year's executive board last spring.

Ben Laws, vice president of the executive board, said recruitment efforts were more intense last spring than in years past. This year's higher numbers show that the recruitment efforts worked, Laws said.

For example, the Carmichael-Whitehead area did not have any representation last year. But this year, more than 100 ballots were submitted for area governor.

"Generally speaking, there were only about 20 ballots in the past year," Jordan said.

There are 15 governing board members and 11 executive board members, as well as four advisers. Jordan said all the board members, both new and old, seem very excited.

"Basically, we had all the positions filled ahead of schedule," Laws said. "That allowed us to get ahead this year."

No one quit this year during the summer, as they had done in years past, which contributed to the association's continuity, Jordan said.

But Laws stressed that more participation is welcome. "There is always room for new membership, but we have met our goals."

The increased numbers already have helped lead to changes in the RHA, including a big buddy system among the two boards and Hall Brawl, a new program set to begin the first week of October.

The brawl is a competition among the different residence hall areas in events from intramural sports to water conservation and blood donations.

Jordan said the RHA has a different focus this year than last -- to get back to the original ideas that started the RHA, including close contact with students.

A full board and new programs were key items in Jordan's platform from the election last semester.

To do this, Jordan restructured the board by both adding and removing positions.

"This should be classified as a rebuilding year," she said.

Jordan said the RHA is excited about the new changes, which will continue to improve student life on campus.

"The goal of the RHA is to make sure that residents' life is as great as possible."