Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

ROTC Members Protest Demolition of Armory

The FNOA is located in the Naval Armory, which houses the ROTC divisions, but Phase II of the Master Plan involves demolishing the structure to build the new science complex.

But FNOA members are fighting to keep their 60-year-old building on the corner of South Columbia Street and South Road.

The officers are requesting a nomination from the N.C. State Historic Preservation Office to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places -- a move that would protect the building from being torn down.

But if the ROTC building is saved, that part of Phase II "can't be done," said Jonathan Howes, director of the Master Plan. "It would seriously change the kind of science complex that has been designed."

Phase II of the science complex project involves building a new multipurpose building that will include a parking deck, office research space and a science library in the ROTC building's location.

Phase II is not scheduled to begin until 2005. Officials will begin by clearing out Venable Hall and the ROTC building before eventually knocking them down.

The UNC Naval ROTC Alumni Association investigated the situation and determined that petitioning the University likely would not be effective.

"We've pretty much been told that there's no way the University won't tear it down, so we're trying to go above them," said FNOA President Mel Ahle.

The FNOA now is trying to save the building with the help of the national register.

To be considered as a nominee for the register from North Carolina, the FNOA has to apply to a study list, which will then assess the historical significance of the building.

According to the register's criteria, the site must be associated with both significant events and lives in history.

The FNOA sent in its application Monday and expects to hear the results of the study list by the middle of October.

The group's members say that they think the ROTC building's deep history is worth saving and that they hope the register will agree.

Ahle said that the ROTC building was built in 1942 and that all naval aviators of World War II were trained there, including Ted Williams, former President George Bush and former President Gerald Ford.

If the building is demolished, Howes said those who use the ROTC building will have to be relocated, although no final plans have been made.

Ahle said the FNOA has talked with administrative officials about relocating, but she said she is concerned by the lack of concrete plans.

"To me, that means they don't have a permanent place for us."