Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Student Visas Decline After Sept. 11

According to U.S. State Department records, the department issued 399,923 student visas between January and August in 2002 -- compared to the 452,057 visas over the same time span in 2001.

Approvals for foreign students' visas are being delayed because of State Department security measures and recently approved legislation, which call for an in-depth background check required for every individual wishing to enter the country.

Stuart Patt, spokesman for the U.S. Consular Affairs Bureau State Department, said the visa approval process can last as long as two months.

"Before September 11, visas could be approved in a day or two," he said. "We're trying hard to speed up the process, but not at the expense of national security."

Although fewer visas have been issued this year, Patt said the department is not trying to keep international students from attending U.S. universities.

"We're issuing fewer visas altogether because there have been fewer applicants since September 11," he said.

Richard Tanson, international student adviser at the University of Virginia, said some students might be reluctant to apply to universities in the United States because they don't feel welcome after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Robert Locke, director of UNC's International Center, said the center can help students with issues such as eligibility and financial support, which could aid them in attaining a visa in a shorter period of time.

"But if it's a security clearance matter, there is nothing we can do," he said.

Despite the changes in security measures since Sept. 11, Locke said UNC has more international students enrolled than last year.

This year, an increase in returning international students has made up for the decrease in new students entering the University's program.

After international students are accepted to UNC, they must apply for either a J-1 visa or an F-1 visa in order to be approved for immigration.

Students supported by personal funds must apply for a J-1 visa, while F-1 visas are reserved for students receiving financial aid.

To apply for both visas, students must submit a letter of acceptance from the university, a passport, transcripts, SAT scores and proof of financial support.

The amount of time it takes to get a visa depends on the student's home country, said Sanja Vujaskovic, student and scholar adviser for the UNC International Center.

"There really is nothing the University can do to speed up the process," she said.

Security measures will continue to increase next year, when UNC administrators will be required to report all international student information to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System -- a system that allows the government to track every international student and scholar in the United States.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.