Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students Need to Fight To Guard UNC Budget From Chopping Block

The N.C. legislature is doing the final mop up of the state budget over the next two weeks.

During such difficult economic times everyone must bear the burden, and the UNC system will do its part.

However, the UNC system is the economic engine that drives the state of North Carolina, and protecting our classrooms and research facilities should be one of the legislature's highest priorities.

Studies show that for every $1 invested in higher education, $7 is put back into the state economy. We believe this confirms the importance of higher education to our state.

We continue to urge the members of the conference committee to spare the UNC-system schools and community colleges from unnecessary reductions to our already-stretched budgets. Various aspects of our budget have been targeted over the last few months including overhead receipts and graduate student tuition remissions.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding regarding exactly what overhead receipts are and how vital they are to the university. Within every federal grant awarded to UNC-Chapel Hill, a certain percent is earmarked as "overhead."

This money is intended to fund facilities and administrative expenditures necessary to conduct research (e.g. equipment, building maintenance, etc.).

A few years ago, the General Assembly decided to allow UNC-CH to keep our overhead receipts and allow us to reinvest those funds back into the expansion and development of future research. This was a wise decision.

Our research brings new jobs, new industry, and some of the best and brightest in their fields to North Carolina. It also allows us to keep outstanding students from North Carolina here in the state.

The other major concern in the impending budget is the removal of $2 million from UNC-CH's tuition remission program. This program allows Carolina to attract top-notch graduate students from all over the country and the world to this university.

Tuition remission allows us to be highly competitive with our peer institutions.

It also ensures some of the best teaching assistants to help educate our undergraduate population.

Without these dollars we will lose our competitive edge.

The next two weeks are critical as members of the legislative conference committee are rushing to finalize the budget and get back to their home districts.

We need your help! Legislators need to hear from students, faculty, and staff as they make their final decisions.

For a list of the members of the conference committee including contact information, please contact either one of us at daum@email.unc.edu or branson@unc.edu.

We in student government are doing the best we can, but we cannot be successful without your voice.

In addition, you can let our legislators know how you feel by voting in the primaries on Tuesday.

The mission of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is to serve the people of the state of North Carolina.

We fulfill that mission every day through teaching, research, and public service.

Make sure your elected representatives know how you contribute to our state.

Jen Daum
Student Body President
Branson Page
GPSF President

The length rule was waived.