Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Teach-In Blasts IMF, World Bank

The teach-in focused on the IMF/World Bank and garnering support for a protest against the two organizations sponsored by Mobilization for Global Justice, which will be held Sept. 27 and Sept. 28 in Washington, D.C.

At least a dozen UNC students are expected to attend the protest.

Greg Gangi, an environmental studies professor who teaches about the IMF and World Bank in his classes, spoke on the history and economic policies of the two organizations.

He spoke out strongly against the programs of the two international groups, which he contended cause economic inequity in underdeveloped countries.

The IMF and the World Bank were originally formed at the Bretton Woods Conference in July 1944. Financial operations began March 1, 1947, and both are composed of 184 countries.

The IMF was established to promote economic stability and help Europe recover after World War II.

John Cox, a history graduate student, presented statistics on the negative effects of the structural readjustment policies. Cox attended the protests in Genoa, Italy, in July 2001 and spoke on the negative economic impacts in South America and Africa.

He said that in previous years South American countries were paying back $3 for every dollar brought in. Now the same countries are paying back $7 for every dollar brought in.

Stephen Burzio, a third-year law student, directed conversation toward the protest in Washington, D.C. The protesters object to the United States' and other world governments' involvement with the IMF and World Bank. "As Americans we have a responsibility to keep the government in check," he said.

Vinci Daro, a fifth-year graduate student studying anthropology, discussed various other IMF protests and issues in the debate surrounding IMF debt relief. Daro, who is doing graduate work on social movements, has also been involved in past IMF protests.

Students who attended the teach-in are also planning a series of events on campus called "Radical Rush," which will promote various social causes.

Senior Nolan Beall, a political science and psychology major, said it will be a week of political activities for students to see the various campus activist organizations.

Burzio said, "It's always good to see students take what they learned in the classroom and apply it to the real world."