Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Texan Takes Pride in Her State's Many Differences, Large Independent Streak

Stepping off the plane after five months abroad, I expected a warm greeting from my mother.

Instead she grabbed my hand, turned to give the bird to a man that had been rude to her and said bitingly "Have a nice flight." Welcome to Texas.

No state likes littering.

If you pass through the Southeast, signs tell you to keep "Alabama the Beautiful" and to "Keep Georgia Peachy Clean."

But Texans take a more direct approach: "Don't Mess with Texas."

No please, no thank you. Just a warning that if you don't respect us, you will be sorry.

I admit that we're different. Full of attitude. Arrogant. Definitely a breed apart from other Americans.

Maybe it's because we were once an independent republic and that wild independent streak has passed down through the generations like a disease.

Or maybe it's that Texas isn't a gentle state.

The sun is a killer, smothering the spirit of any and every person who can't hack it in a more rugged land, and those flat, desolate grasslands and deserts stretch on endlessly into the horizon.

Maybe that's why (DTH columnist) Dan Harrison didn't like Texas -- he knows he can't handle it.

Well, don't worry Dan, it's not for everyone.

Now while most of Dan's article can roll off my back, the comparison of Texas life to "Varsity Blues," that travesty of teeny-bopper filmmaking, really gets under my skin.

And James Van Der Beek with that ridiculous accent shouting "I don't want your life."

Well neither would I, if I spoke that poorly.

North Carolina is now my home for an indefinite period.

It's a beautiful state with a lot to recommend it.

But I miss Texas and its wild ways. I miss the land of Blue Bonnets, gas-guzzling trucks, cowboy hats and football gods.

Jennifer Jones
First-Year Graduate Student
Master of Public Administration

Editor's Note: The Sept. 30 Viewpoints page will be about minority life at UNC. Readers are encouraged to submit a 750-850 word op-ed piece on the subject.

Please e-mail any submissions to

editdesk@unc.edu or take them to The Daily Tar Heel office in Suite 104 of the Student Union by noon Friday.