Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The University and Towns In Brief

Pedestrian Hit by Car Crossing Cameron Ave.

A 19-year-old female UNC student was struck by a car Friday night as she attempted to cross Cameron Avenue.

The victim was crossing at the crosswalk in front of Phillips Hall at 8:30 p.m. when she was hit by a car traveling on Cameron Avenue toward South Columbia Street.

The 62-year-old driver told police that he was distracted by a sport utility vehicle behind him with its high-beam lights on.

Reports state that the driver rolled down his window and proceeded to motion with his glasses for the SUV to dim its lights. When the driver directed his attention back to the road in front of him he saw the victim crossing the road.

The driver struck the victim at the same time he braked, reports state. The driver was traveling about 25 mph when he hit the victim.

Reports state that the victim was thrown 9 feet after impact. Orange County paramedics took the victim to UNC Hospitals.

The victim was released early Saturday morning with minor cuts and bruises.

The driver was charged with failure to yield to a pedestrian.

Funeral Today for UNC Medical Student

A funeral will be held today for a UNC medical student who died Friday morning from complications related to a virus he contracted treating a pediatric patient in January.

Brett Pearce, a third-year medical student, received his undergraduate degree from UNC in 1997.

The funeral will be held at 11 a.m. today at St. Thomas Moore Catholic Church in Chapel Hill at 940 Carmichael St. The family encourages second-year or above medical students to wear their white coats to the funeral.