Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Training Crucial for Sensitivity

In a candid response to talk show host Howard Stern, Shockey spoke his mind about gays participating in professional athletics, namely the NFL.

When Stern asked the tight end if there were any gay football players in the NFL, Shockey said, "I don't know. I don't like to think about that. I hope not."

Stern also asked if the Ada, Okla., native had any gay teammates at his alma mater, Miami.

"No. I mean, if I knew there was a gay guy on my college football team, I probably wouldn't, you know, stand for it. You know, I think, you know, they're going to be in the shower with us and stuff, so I don't think that's going to work."

Now what prompted those questions is beyond me, but the fact that Shockey "wouldn't stand for it" is a little bothersome. It also begs the question, "What exactly would he do in response?"

Shockey did apologize for his comments, nearly a week after the interview, but only after garnering national attention. It never occurred to him there was a problem with what he said until then. Chances are good he still doesn't get it.

"It's a show just for comedy," Shockey told the Daily News last Thursday. "I guess I do regret saying it. I didn't think anyone was going to make a big deal out of it. I'm not prejudiced against anybody's beliefs or what they do in their off time. I do regret saying something like that. Whatever I did to offend people, I apologize. I'm not prejudiced in any way."

Shockey pointed the finger at Stern, because clearly a 22-year-old can't discern for himself what comments could be considered culturally insensitive, and which ones could slide by.

Give me a break. Sure, Stern is a wretched member of the media, but he sells and that always will be the most important thing. Stern is not the problem.

The dilemma is that it never even crossed the rookie tight end's mind that this was an inappropriate comment.

And unfortunately, Shockey isn't alone in his lack of sensitivity.

Atlanta Braves pitcher John Rocker caused a sensation in December 1999 when he said the following to Sports Illustrated: ''Imagine having to take the 7 train to (Shea Stadium in New York) looking like you're (in) Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids,'' Rocker said. ''It's depressing.''

Rocker was suspended for 60 days by Major League Baseball, but an arbitrator cut the suspension in half. I doubt he learned his lesson.

Something should be done so the major league organizations aren't bowing their heads in shame every time a professional athlete shows his rear.

Most professional athletes already are coached in terms of what to say and how to respond to the media. What needs to happen is in between the public relations sessions, there needs to be certain seminars geared toward sensitivity, at least in the public light.

Granted, no one should be uncomfortable in locker rooms or other off-camera areas, but it's a little unreal to think that things will change overnight. These things take time.

And if his question is read in a slightly less antagonistic manner, Stern is making a good point. Why aren't there any openly gay players in the NFL?

According to Outsports.com, there are no openly gay players in the NFL. But there were some hiding in the closet. A few came out soon after they left the league, but none are comfortable making claims while receiving a paycheck from their respective teams. How unfortunate.

And with Shockey's comments, which apparently went unpunished, don't expect anyone to come forward.

Kellie Dixon can be reached at kldixon@email.unc.edu.