Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Officials Say Students Can Protect Online Information

After concerns were brought forward by multiple student groups, Pennsylvania State University made changes to its directory that give students greater control of the personal information published in the directory.

But UNC officials maintain that the University's system works well.

Registrar David Lanier said the main goal of the directory is to provide pertinent information about students and faculty quickly.

Lanier said the information available in the online directory is controlled through Student Central and emphasized that, like at Penn State, students at UNC have the option to withhold information by updating their privacy flags on Student Central.

Students have three options for what information is displayed, Lanier said. They can be unlisted, be listed without contact information or choose from a list of options of what to restrict.

Steve Cornelison, director of data management, said the online directory is a safe way to access student and faculty information.

"When you consider how we use the Internet to get information, I think the default should be to display the directory information with the students themselves given the option of what information to display," he said.

Cornelison said the directory is updated on a daily basis, with changes requested by students finished the next day.

Lanier said that unless specified otherwise on Student Central, students' information must be made public according to North Carolina's Public Records Act.

He said that even if students decided to require a security code or password to access the directory, the information would still have to be available to the general public in some form.

Although students can control what personal information is available online, few have chosen to restrict information thus far, Lanier said. "Usually less than 1,000 out of 25,000 students restrict their information."

Cornelison said students should be made more aware of their options. "If people really talked about the options available to students, many of them would probably think about it and change the information they make available," he said.

Freshman Matt Strickland said he wasn't aware of his privacy options but would think about restricting the information the directory lists about him. "I didn't know I could control that," Strickland said. "I'll definitely look into it and see if there is anything I want to take off the directory."