Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Plans For Science Institute

Facility to combine multiple sciences.

But students who participate in research at a newly proposed science institute could be working to cure cancer and build molecules.

Made public for the first time Wednesday by Chancellor James Moeser during his State of the University Address, the Institute for Advanced Materials, Nanoscience and Technology will incorporate science undergraduate and graduate students in state-of-the-art research.

The purpose is to "bring together strengths we already have here," said Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor for research.

University officials hope to combine the strengths of the science departments to boost the prominence of UNC in the science research community, said Provost Robert Shelton.

Similar to the new genomics program, the institute was identified by a science steering committee nearly a year ago as a source of growth at the University, Shelton added.

Moeser's proposal Wednesday is the commitment from the University that Chemistry Professor Joe DeSimone hoped to see.

"Carolina needs this dimension," said DeSimone, who is coordinating the institute's planning. "If you are going to be a competitive University in science then you need to have some technology going on."

Nanoscience combines many different science fields including medicine, engineering, chemistry and physics.

The research DeSimone envisions for the institute would increase the University's federal grant funding and put UNC on the cutting edge of nanoscience -- which the National Science Foundation identifies as the "new new thing" in science.

"This is building upon an investment in science that we have been making over the last decade," DeSimone said.

The institute is still in the beginning planning stages, but officials said it should be running by the end of the academic year. DeSimone said the institute will be temporarily housed in Venable Hall until the new science complex is completed in 2005. Officials enlarged the initial phase of the complex by $18 million to accommodate the institute.

But Shelton said long-term plans could possibly locate the institute at the proposed Carolina North campus, which will be housed on the Horace Williams tract.

Officials are working on plans to hire additional faculty and purchase more equipment for the facility.

University budget constraints, however, are forcing officials to took to private sources to fund the institute.

But in his speech Wednesday, Moeser said lack of money is no excuse.

"Some will argue that we cannot afford new initiatives. ... While we must be very judicious in taking on new projects, we cannot afford not to build on our strengths to be the very best that we can be."