Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Ranked 6th in Attracting, Enrolling Black Students

Duke University ranked first in the study out of 26 universities.

Robert Slater, managing editor of the JBHE, said the study is an extension of the journal's annual fall report on black freshman enrollment.

"We've been collecting standard racial figures for 10 years," he said. "The information was all there; we just have been piecing it together."

JBHE conducted its own in-house surveys of the colleges and universities and also looked to government sources. The result is a report that lists two N.C. universities -- Duke and UNC -- in the top 10.

"(These two universities) are in a good position because the state surrounding them has a high black populations," Slater said. "Both schools have responded positively to integration of black students and faculty. Thirty-five years ago, there were no blacks at either school."

UNC finished sixth because of a noted effort from administrators to increase the number of black students and black faculty on campus, the report stated.

The University has nine black faculty members who serve as chairmen, the highest number in the United States.

UNC also ranked second in the percentage of total black student enrollment and first in the percentage of black freshmen. But JBHE's report added that UNC has a very low black graduation rate -- 66 percent -- and a large racial gap in graduation rates between whites and blacks.

Jasmine McGhee, co-chairwoman of the Political Action Committee of the Black Student Movement, said that there are wonderful things happening at UNC but that there is room for improvement.

"The Political Action Committee has been working diligently with the administration to address the things that hinder minority students," she said. "The important thing is that the administration makes a commitment to increase the number of black students and make them feel safe."

UNC journalism Professor Chuck Stone said Paul Hardin, who was chancellor from 1988-95, and Michael Hooker, chancellor from 1995-99, set the tone for welcoming blacks to the University. He said only time will tell if Chancellor James Moeser can maintain the high level of cultural diversity.

"Give him a little more time," he said. "His heart is in the right place. We'll know in two or three years whether or not we'll maintain our leadership or grow."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.