Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Volleyball Wins 2nd Tourney of 2002

No. 23 UNC knocked off San Diego at the Toreros' 2002 invitational, winning its second tournament of the year. Key to the team's effort was a school record 28 block assists.

North Carolina (6-0) jumped out ahead early, taking game one 30-21.

San Diego (5-1) evened the score at a game apiece with a 37-35 win in game two.

But in the end it was UNC, with the Tar Heels winning game three 30-25 and game four 30-16.

Malaika Underwood, a San Diego native, was named tournament MVP as she picked up 15 kills and 17 digs in Saturday night's game.

Also representing the Tar Heels on the All-Tournament team was senior setter Eve Rackham, senior outside hitter Laura Greene and junior middle hitter Aletha Green.

UNC Places 3rd at Temple Invitational

PHILADELPHIA - Led by two goals by Kerry Falgowski, the North Carolina field hockey team defeated Temple 4-0 on Sunday in the consolation game of the Temple Invitational.

UNC (2-2), which lost 3-2 to Louisville in overtime on Saturday, grabbed the lead in the17th minute on Falgowski's first goal of the game.

Falgowski struck again in the 38th minute on an assist from Amber Chambers.

Just six minutes later, Laura Douglas increased the UNC lead to 3-0 with her first career goal.

Stephanie Fuller capped the scoring for the Tar Heels on a goal assisted by Meredith Keller and Alison Stewart.

The win gave the Tar Heels third place in the tournament, marking the first time in 10 years that North Carolina ended the Temple Invitational without winning the title.

North Carolina goalkeeper Amy Tran had three saves. She combined with sophomore Alexis Suarez for the Tar Heels' first shutout victory of the season Sunday.