Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Undergrad Renovations Left Library Nicer Place For Sleeping Students

So back when I was a freshman or a first-year student here at UNC, the Undergraduate Library was a place where students would come and attempt to study. There was, of course, that large space in the bottom floor with round tables, which was the home of many late night group study sessions. Snacks, that is brain food, would naturally be snuck en masse to power our minds in that early hour as we try to cram that last bit of chemistry, philosophy, history or even political science.

But alas, things were not meant to be as the Undergrad closed for renovations during my next two years.

Fearing that the Undergrad would not open till after my graduation, I, like my peers, moved to Davis and its wonderful couches on the seventh and eighth floors -- wonderful in the sense that many of us fell comfortably asleep instead of studying.

Nevertheless, the Undergrad did finish renovations, and now this new class is enjoying a better-looking, better-designed Undergrad.

However, what was surprising to me was the sight of students en masse -- not engaging in studies, but rather in sleep.

It seems that in addition to these new computers, the new Undergrad has a large selection of very comfortable chairs and couches for our poor overburdened students to sleep on.

From the comfy recliners to these wonderful green couches on the upper floor, my fellow peers will find no lack of space to just lay down and sleep.

Now the only thing that remains is for me to find a way to sneak, that is covertly bring in snacks to munch on and also a small alarm clock just in case I decide to take a refreshing nap.

Kudos to the Undergrad!

Chi Wang
Senior
Chemistry